The 1775 launching of the USS Hannah led Beverly to lay claim to be the birthplace of the US Navy, a claim also made by Marblehead MA (due to the heavy influence of Marblehead in the Hannah's construction), Whitehall NY, Machias ME, Providence RI and Philadelphia PA. Beverly has since emphasized its use by the Continental forces as a naval base. Beverly Farms, a section of town known as a resort area for wealthy patrons, was the developers' source of the name of the California town of Beverly Hills. Beverly was named for the Yorkshire, England town of Beverley.
Originally called Exeter, the town's residents decided in 1778 to name the municipality Franklin in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Franklin acknowledged the honor by donating 116 books, which were used to establish the country's first public library.
First settled in 1623, the famous fishing center of Gloucester has few competitors for the title of America's Oldest Port. The city was named for the English city of Gloucester.
William Edward Burghardt Du Bois was one of the founders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and was a noted civil rights leader until his death in 1965. Great Barrington was named for a village in Gloucestershire, England.
An early aviator, on Apr. 16, 1912 Harriet Quimby became the first woman to pilot an airplane across the English Channel. This achievement has received less notice than it deserves, as most public attention at the time was concentrated on news of the sinking of the Titanic the day before. .
The Au Gres-Sims High School Band has been a consistent top finisher in the Michigan State Festival of Bands. Formerly a logging community, Au Gres derives an increasing amount of revenue from tourism. The name of the city is from the French and means "of sandstone," referring to the composition of the bottom of the Au Gres River.
Highlighting its stature as a center for sports fishing on Saginaw Bay/Lake Huron, Bay Port has for over 40 years held a Fish Sandwich Festival in August.
Empire is situated near the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Monument, a preserve of sand dune formations on Lake Michigan's eastern shore, named for a rock formation, now much reduced in size, that appeared to the local Indians and early French explorers to resemble a sleeping bear. The village was named for the schooner Empire, which was icebound during an 1865 storm.
Lexington lies near the southern end of Lake Huron, just north of Port Huron, which is located at the point where the lake empties into the St. Clair River. It is the first resort community reached after leaving Port Huron.
A 26-year veteran of the Navy and Medal of Honor winner for heroism during the Korean War, William R. Charette was born and grew up in Ludington. In 1958, he was given the honor of selecting the remains of World War II soldiers to be interred in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery. The city was named for local lumber magnate James Ludington.
Despite town signage, Omer is now the second-smallest city in Michigan, with 313 people. Lake Angelus slipped below Omer in the 2010 Census, when 290 people were counted.
Matt Hughes competed in the 2008 Olympics in men's quadruple sculls rowing. Pere Marquette Township is named for French explorer Father Jacques Marquette, who, weakened by dysentery, died here in 1675 at the age of 37.
Although Pinconning's name, derived from the Ojibway word Opinikaaning, means "place of the wild potato," it is cheese for which the town has historically been known. German immigrant Dan Horn developed a Colby-style cheese, now known as Pinconning cheese, which could be stored at temperatures above 40 degrees, the upper limit in pre-refrigeration days.
Situated on Lake Huron, Port Hope highlights the academic accomplishments of its high school students in the National Ocean Sciences Bowl, a competition organized by the Consortium for Ocean Leadership to test knowledge of oceanography.
Since 1963, Port Huron has been the home of the finals of the International Silver Sticks, an international youth hockey competition begun in 1958. Originating in Port Huron in 1956, the Jail and Bail event raised funds for the March of Dimes for 61 years.
Carsonville-Port Sanilac Junior-Senior High School won Michigan's first eight-man football championship. Small schools across the country that may not be able to field full-strength teams compete in six-man, eight-man and nine-man football leagues.
The largest open-pit limestone quarry in the world is located in Rogers City.
Originally called Number Six, Henniker was incorporated in 1768 and named for London merchant Sir John Henniker. It is the only town in the world that bears the name Henniker.
Named for Sir Wills Hill, Earl of Hillsborough, the town is best known as the birthplace of Franklin Pierce, elected 14th President of the United States in 1852.
Four Revolutionary War veterans associated with Nottingham reached the rank of General in the Continental Army (Joseph Cilley, Henry Dearborn) or following the war (Henry Butler, Thomas Bartlett) in the New Hampshire Militia. The town was named for Daniel Finch, Earl of Nottingham.
Located on the Old York Road, a main highway through New Jersey, near three major battle sites, Trenton, Princeton and Monmouth, Allentown saw its share of military operations, changing hands three times during the war.
The seat of Cumberland County, Bridgeton has the largest historic district in New Jersey, numbering over 2000 structures of varying kinds.
Although Carlstadt claims the first kindergarten in the United States, that honor is generally considered to belong to Watertown, WI. Founded by German settlers, Carlstadt derives its name from their leader, Dr. Carl Klein (Carl's city).
Although he died of tuberculosis at the age of 29, David Brainerd is widely remembered for his indefatigable evangelical efforts among American Indians in what is now New Jersey. Bypassed by major highways, Cranbury's downtown has managed to retain its 18th- and 19th-century charm.
Dunellen's nickname of "Railroad Town" derives from its development following the establishment of a station on the Elizabethtown and Somerville Railroad line (later absorbed by the Jersey Central) and the location in the town of a railroad roundhouse.
Eagleswood's location fronting on Little Egg Harbor naturally gives it a marine orientation. Two types of shallow-draft boats were developed here, the Barnegat garvey, used for clamming, and the Barnegat sneakbox, in which a duck hunter can recline and camouflage himself while hunting.
Despite its name, Egg Harbor City lies about 15 miles from any harbor. It can, however, claim a beauty queen.
Originally Franklin Furnace, the town was named for Benjamin Franklin. In the Franklin area may be found over 150 minerals, 25 of which occur only in the vicinity of Franklin. Many of the minerals are fluorescent; examples are exhibited in the Franklin Mineral Museum.
During the summer of 1778, George Washington saw a chance to attack British troops as they marched from Philadelphia to debarkation from Sandy Hook. The armies met near Monmouth Court House (Freehold). The Continental soldiers fought well, but a blunder by Gen. Charles Lee turned a possible victory into a draw and the British were able to disengage and continue to Sandy Hook. The fight did demonstrate that the Continental soldiers could stand up to British regulars. The battlefield, in what is now Freehold and Manalapan Townships, is preserved in a state park.
Garfield's nickname "City of Champions" refers to the titles won by its high school football teams, most notably the 1939 win over Miami High School for the mythical national high school championship. A new train station in town was named for President James Garfield after his 1881 assassination and the town, then known as East Passaic, also took the name, but Garfield has no actual connection with the city.
Washington Rock, commemorated in a state park, is a lookout in the Watchung Mountains from which Gen. George Washington kept track of British troop movements in New York City and northern New Jersey.