Mark Hanna was a prominent Cleveland industrialist and political mentor of Ohio Governor and President William McKinley. It is said that when McKinley succumbed to an assassin's bullet, Hanna remarked, "Now that damned cowboy [Theodore Roosevelt] is President".
One of many Pennsylvania towns with Welsh-derived names, Bangor was the home of Homefront Magazine, published 1942-1946 by Horace and Mona Strunk to keep families in the Bangor area in touch with their members in the service. Bangor is located in northeast Pennsylvania's Slate Belt.
Chartered six days after the 1783 signing of the Treaty of Paris ending the American Revolution, Dickinson College is the first institution of higher learning established in the independent United States. A project of Dr. Benjamin Rush, the school was named for John Dickinson, renowned as the "Penman of the American Revolution," and was established on land owned by Mary Dickinson. The Dickinsons contributed an extensive library to the institution. Rush proposed the name John and Mary's College for the school, but Dickinson College was chosen instead. Carlisle was named after the English town of the same name.
Elizabethville's town motto reflects its efforts to be the leading community in the Lykens Valley. The town was named after the wife of the original property owner.
Roads north and south of the borough of Halifax are lined with sycamores planted in honor of World War I veterans. The borough and township are named for Fort Halifax, built on the Susquehanna River by the Pennsylvania militia during the French and Indian War.
The 1829 six-mile round trip of the Stourbridge Lion from Honesdale to Seelyville was the first US commercial steam railroad run. The borough was named for New York City Mayor and Delaware and Hudson Canal Co. President Philip Hone.
One of three Middletown Townships in Pennsylvania, this one is west of Philadelphia in Delaware County. The township is crossed by several highways, including US 1.
Nicholson is the boyhood home of two members of Congress, Pennsylvania's Don Sherwood (1999-2006) and New Jersey's James Saxton (1984-2009). Dominating the town is the Tunkhannock Viaduct, completed in 1915 by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad and still in use today. It is 2375 feet long and 240 feet above Tunkhannock Creek. It must be seen in person to appreciate the immensity of the structure, at the time of its construction the largest concrete structure in the world.
Jacob Nelson Fox was a mainstay of the Chicago White Sox in the 1950s, playing second base and six times batting .300 or better, while never striking out more than 18 times in any season. A twelve-time All-Star, he was named Most Valuable Player in the team's 1959 American League championship season and was selected for the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1997.
The Black Diamond Express was a famous passenger train on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, which had a repair facility at Sayre. The borough was named for Pennsylvania and New York Railroad President Robert Heysham Sayre, who was instrumental in securing the location of the facility at Sayre.
The Portsmouth Compact, signed by the founders of Portsmouth, incorporates the settlement into a political, rather than religious, body, thus guaranteeing civil and religious liberty to the residents.
The settlement of Shawhomett received its present name in 1648 when Samuel Gorton was granted a charter by Robert Rich, Earl of Warwick.
Twelve golf courses in the immediate area are the basis for Crossville's claim to be the Golf Capital of Tennessee. The city got its name because it is at the crossing of two early trails, the Knoxville-Nashville Great Stage Road and the Kentucky-Chattanooga Kentucky Stock Road.
The birthplace of President Calvin Coolidge and several other buildings in the village of Plymouth Notch have been preserved and are open to the public.
The constitution declaring Vermont to be an independent republic was signed in Windsor in 1777. I suspect McDonald's was not one of the visions of the founders. Vermont became the 14th state 14 years later.
Both the town and county of Appomattox highlight their place in the ending of the American Civil War. On Apr. 9, 1865, Gen. Robert E. Lee met General Ulysses S. Grant at the home of Wilmer McLean and surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia after Federal troops blocked his efforts to unite his troops with the Army of Tennessee in North Carolina. The latter army's surrender two weeks later, followed closely by the laying down of arms by the remaining troops in the West brought the four-year conflict to a close. The town's name is derived from the local Appomattuck Indians.
Buchanan (BUCK-uh-nan) lies at the southern end of the Shenandoah Valley. The town was named for its original title holder, John Buchanan. The suspension bridge across the James River was built on the foundation of a covered bridge that was destroyed during the Civil War. Only three people are allowed to be on the bridge at one time.
Chartered in 1749, Dumfries is the oldest continuously chartered town in Virginia. John Graham, who provided the original land for the townsite named Dumfries after his birthplace in Scotland.
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a Depression/New Deal program to provide employment for young men who were put to work creating public work structures and maintaining wooded and natural areas.
The opening of the Skyline Drive, which provides spectacular views from the top of the Blue Ridge, has brought substantial tourist traffic to Front Royal. The North and South Forks of the Shenandoah River join here and the prevalence of canoe rental companies in the area make the town a mecca for canoeing enthusiasts. The origin of the town's unusual name is not certain. The most colorful explanation involves a British military drill sergeant who commanded his troops to "front the royal oak."