Falls Village's location at the Great Falls of the Housatonic River in northwest Connecticut spawned aspirations that the town could emulate the success of Lowell MA as an industrial center, but the community never became more than a small town. The power canal shown above was built without mortar and was unsuccessful due to a chronic leakage problem.
Mystic's name is derived from the Pequot word "missituck," which describes a large river with wind-driven waves. Mystic Seaport, opened in 1929, has been counted among the top maritime museums in the country, portraying life in a nineteenth-century seaport town and the commercial fishing industry.
Plainville's location on the Farmington Canal in the nineteenth century launched the town as a transportation center, continuing to this day as the junction of north-south and east-west railroads and as the location of the Robertson Airport, Connecticut's oldest private landing field.
Greg Myerson landed an 81-pound striped bass in Long Island Sound off Westbrook in 2011, establishing a record for striped bass.
Connecticut's oldest town, Windsor was settled in 1633
A replica of the log cabin birthplace of Abraham Lincoln as well as physical features of the area are preserved in the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site at Hodgenville.
Cherryfield is predominant in the production of blueberries in Maine's Washington County, an area particularly conducive to production of the fruit.
As the oldest incorporated town in Maine, Kittery is also its oldest port. Founded by Alexander Shapleigh, the town takes its name from Shapleigh's Devon estate, Kittery Court.
Lubec, named for Luebeck, Germany, is located on the easternmost land of the continental United States. The West Quoddy Head Lighthouse, represented on the left of the sign, has guided ships through the Quoddy Narrows since 1858.
Its Acadian heritage and proximity to Canada give Madawaska a heavy French color. The town's street signs are bilingual and French is spoken at home by more than 80% of its residents. Its status as most Northeastern town in the continental US stems from its position further north than any other town to its east.
The 45th parallel bisects the town of Perry, putting it equidistant to the geographic North Pole and the Equator. Two markers on US 1, one dating to 1896, commemorate this fact. The town is named for War of 1812 Naval Commander Oliver Hazard Perry.
The commercial center and largest city in Maine's sprawling Aroostook County, Presque Isle was founded on disputed territory and was heavily involved in the 1840s border dispute with Canada known as the Aroostook War.
Situated on the Weskeag River just south of Penobscot Bay, South Thomaston has taken advantage of its location to become the home of several tidal-powered mills. The mills also included granite-polishing machines to process stones dug in the town's quarries. The town was named for an early 18th-century miller, Thomas Lefebvre.
Named for President Martin Van Buren, the town sits at the southern end of the border section of the St. John River valley. Don't try to drive through the gate.
The Governor Ames, the first five-masted schooner, a staple of the New England sailing fleet, was built and launched in 1888 at the Leavitt-Storer shipyard in Waldoboro.
The easternmost county in the state of Maine, Washington County is the first in the continental US to see the morning sunlight.