Founded as a Methodist resort, Ocean City has long emphasized its suitability as a resort catering to families.
The Sterling Hill Mine, New Jersey's last operating underground mine, closed in 1986, but a local museum offers tours of the facility.
Walter Schirra was one of the original seven Mercury astronauts and the only astronaut to have flown in the first three programs, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.
Note old street sign on left with town name rather than main street identified.
A park commemorates the spot where most of a small Continental force under Col. Charles Baylor was killed, wounded or captured in 1778.
Rutherford's nickname of "Borough of Trees" is most in evidence during the fall, when the leaves are changing color.
Once known mainly for its malodorous pig farms, Secaucus is now a mix of clapboard working-class housing and more recent upscale development. The town's name is derived from a Native American word "siskakes," meaning "where the snake hides," an apt description of the town's location in the Hackensack Meadowlands.
On the south bank of the Raritan River, South Amboy proclaims itself the "Gateway to the Shore," but since the Garden State Parkway and Routes 9 and 35 all bypass the city, few people now travel through on their way to the shore.
South Bound Brook is located at a bend in the Raritan River and Delaware and Raritan Canal. Access to the canal is provided at several points.
On June 23, 1780, British forces under Gen. Knyphausen were turned back by Continental regulars and New Jersey militia, thwarting a second attempt to attack the main body of Continental troops encamped at Morristown, effectively ending the fighting in the northern colonies.
Long a rural Pine Barrens township, Tabernacle experienced a burst of growth in the 1970s. The creation of the Pinelands National Reserve has served as a check on further growth. The township's name derives from the 1778 construction of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness, built by John and David Brainerd as part of their mission to the Lenni Lenape Indians.
In 2006, the voters of Dover Township, after 239 years, decided to change the municipality's name to Toms River Township. Years of confusion with the town of Dover in Morris County and the fact that Toms River is by far the largest community in the township led to the change. The Toms River East Little League won the Little League World Series in 1998.